Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bungee Jumping

Several years back, when bungee jumping was enjoying some popularity, I did a job for an outfit in Santa Claus, IN. We had a platform that rose 220 feet into the air. It was 8 feet square with a diving board at one end. I installed this device and stayed for testing. It worked fine. The crew that ran the jumping business tried to get me to jump. I politely declined. They said it was my contraption and I should jump. No I said. So one fellow asked me to ride up while he jumped. No problem said I. Up we went. He used two harnesses, an upper and a lower (they were a well equipped outfit). We got to the top, he stepped out on the diving board and turned around. He unhooked the bungee cord and handed it to me. I assumed he wanted to adjust the harnesses so I took it. He then fell off connected to nothing. I almost soiled myself. I heard a tremendous explosion. He had hit an airbag I was not aware they were using. It was 50 feet square but from up there it looked like a postage stamp. He rolled out and threw his hands up in the air in a "tada" fashion. Well, I thought, if he can do it without a rubber band, then there's no reason I can't with, right. It was an amazing rush. And I got it on video tape. When I got home, I didn't say anything about it to my wife, but instead played the tape. And that is where my injuries came from. See you all tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home