Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Useless Postal Service

Sweet reports on our postal service.

Readers and Tramp,


As "Head of Information", I feel it is my responsibility to give my review of our current U.S. Mail and how its working these days. I have come to the conclusion that the mail system does very little real mail today.

For example, today I received the following:

-Two (2) explanation of benefits from health care (this is real mail).

-My Capitol One Statement (real,
although I also get this via email).

-A California General Election information booklet, 191 pages (a waste of tax payers money). Some may consider it real mail, I call it junk mail.

-Hunter Magazine, my husband considers this real mail. It goes in his office beside the toilet (hubby says it's real mail) I will give him this one since it keeps him out of my hair reading in his office unless I really have to go.

-Gameineor Magazine for a PS2, which is never played in this house (so I guess this is junk).

- My free 2006 Annual Christmas Seal Campaign, which I have never asked to be a part of, however I will use the free return address labels if I ever send real mail (sale mail).

-A notice from BoatUS asking me if I forgot to renew. No! I did not forget (sale mail).

-Also, the same day from BoatUS, I received a sales promo for Christmas cards?????? (sale mail)

-Three (3) letters asking me to re-finance my home......duh, if I wanted to would I really use someone who mailed me a letter? (sale mail).

-A local sale promo for an auto parts store telling me I am one of their 'most valuable customers'. I have never even been to this establishment (sale mail).

-Seven (7) local pizza joints coupons......duh, I don't eat your pizza (sale mail).

-Econo Lube n' Tune coupons.........again duh, this is why I am married (sale mail).

-An item notifying me that I can get $100 off affordable braces at the smile center........I already have a $40K smile (sale mail).

- A notice that Food King has a 'harvest the savings' sale......I don't even know where the "Food King" is located (sale mail).

-A flyer for The 8th Annual "Kite Fest" is from 10-5 today......gee, I needed more notice (sale mail).

-Two (2) Direct TV "Best offer of the year".........I already have Direct TV think of the money Direct TV could save if they only sent to those who were not customers (sale mail).

-A flyer for SureWest Digital TV, Super Fast Internet, Wireless, Residential......strange don't you think since my area is zoned AT&T/SBC (sale mail).

- A notice from my local bank telling me I can pay my bills on-line......duh, I already do (sale mail).

-A (for lack of a better word) spam from 'Window Broker'...........my windows are new. (sale mail).

-And lastly, a flyer from Governor Schwarzenegger stating, "Says NO to Higher Taxes", then telling me how to vote. (sale mail).

Does anyone see a pattern here besides me? The U.S. Mail has become U.S. Sale Mail. Has email killed the postal service? Okay I know this is turning into a rant! But someone has got to keep our readers informed.

I just can't wait for Monday to see how much sale mail I have to sort through to make sure I get my 1-2 pieces of real mail.

Comments anyone?

Sweet

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Oh- that one hurts, you see, after hanging up the wings, I started working as a marketing guru ( my own term, slightly inflated to confuse the boss)Anyway, part of my 'guruness' is to please him by sending out ON AVERAGE....over 100,000 postcards a yara toting the benefits of buying your heating and cooling system from HIM...how many diffrent ways can you say"buy from me, not them, just because?"....well, at the end of the year, I will let you know...I am currently into the 4th mass mailing of the year, the one where I explain the benefits of HYBRID HEAT, of course, it's only good if you buy from mY BOSS...sadly, the new buzz word of 2006/2007 ( HYBRID) has even been carried over to heating and cooling. Okay, rant on, but for now, it barely pays my bills...anyone out there have a job oportunity for an ex flight attendant?

Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger Tramp said...

Carrie, the disclaimer plainly states that any mail from you is exempt from scorn. Didn't you see it? Or did I forget to put it up?

I know all about the necessary evil called advertising, I own a business. Mass mailing is one of the most cost-effective forms of advertising I use. Ads in trade mags and business directories and a presence at trade shows are prohibitively expensive and have poor results. Mass mailings allow me to target desirable customers without drawing the attention of irrelevant businesses. This makes it a cost effective form of generating new business as well as prodding existing customers to consider new purchases.

As far as saying ‘buy from me, not them’, that’s a tough one. I use ‘Made in America by Americans for the world’ and ‘You’ve been to the rest, now come to the best’. I also like ‘Easy jobs done immediately, impossible ones take a little longer’.

My wife still won’t let me use my favorite, which goes;

I’m the best, fuck the rest!

Sunday, October 01, 2006 2:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who is involved with a printing company,
don't forget that junk mail is still made in the USA.
It supports American families and makes it possible
for us to make an honest living. Granted, I get my share
of crap mail as well, most of which I do not read. Just remember, whether you read it or not, someone paid to have it produced, someone got paid to produce it and
some place along the line, two companies profited.
Thus paying their mortgage, feeding their kids and helping, in some small way, to keep the economy going.
With that being said, why do I hate telephone solicitations so much.

Monday, October 02, 2006 7:37:00 AM  
Blogger Tramp said...

Well spoken. You have changed my mind.

No joke here, my brother in law is with a printing company. It supports my wife's sister's family.

Monday, October 02, 2006 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home