Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hello? Is This Thing On?

I think I destroyed my computer.

Around two this afternoon, I had gotten ahead of my workload and decided to take a break with a mug of coffee and a session on the Riverbank. I placed my big mug of coffee next to my laptop along with a slice of buttered toast. I walked away for a minute to get something, I don't remember exactly what, when I heard a sound. My son's new puppy wanted my toast. And in trying to get it, he tipped the mug of coffee into the laptop's keyboard.

The laptop frowned on this. I quickly took appropriate action (I screamed) and attempted to remedy the situation (I got another cup of coffee). The laptop lapsed into a coma. I administered CPR (I turned it upside down and shook it).

Surprisingly, this did not fix it. So I realized futher action might be necessary (two cups of coffee). I realized the laptop was going to need major repair. Good enough. I'll bring out the big guns. I rebooted it. That ought to do it!

It did not. The laptop was dark and making a strange beeping sound. Fine, I'll reboot it again.

Still nothing. Now it's starting to aggravate me. "Don't make me reboot you a third time", I told it. Cause I'll do it!

So I did the third reboot while telling it that I wasn't going to fool around like this all day. Only this time I turned it upside down and shook it again. That has to do it, I thought to myself.

Yep, that was the trick! These computers are highly technical, but an expert like me knows the proper procedures required in near disaster situations such as this.

So I'm back!

FOOTNOTE: This really happened. I immediately unplugged the machine and removed the battery. I disassembled it and cleaned it out. I allowed it to dry for a while and reassembled it. Everything seems to work except the keyboard. I plugged in an external keyboard and I'm on this machine right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home