Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Lucky Me


That title might sound cynical, but it is not. Tonight, I have been reflecting. Not like a mirror, or a chromed fender. No, I mean in thought, of course.

I am a lucky guy. I am not bragging. Just sayin’.

A lifelong friend of mine is facing cancer. Another dear friend is dealing with a complete upheaval of life, as he knows it. One more is dealing with not only his own recovery from an addiction, but also the care of an elderly parent. Yet another close and well-loved friend has the parent problem as well.

Me? I am a lucky guy.

I have recently had some trouble between my wife and myself. I truly may have deserved to lose her. However, I did not. And I will not. My wife and I are getting along swimmingly now, thank you. Better every day, in fact. That is because we love each other.

Love is a powerful force. Love can fix many things. Nevertheless, love cannot fix the obstacles these close friends of mine are now facing. I have no advice for them. I do not know what they should do. I do not know what I would do.

I went through the parent problem a few years ago. It was not easy. I had a few curves thrown at me. Many strange things happened (you wouldn’t believe me). I think I handled it well. That has been a few years ago. Many other things have happened in those few years. Good things and bad things have happened. Things that can completely change who you are. Things that can transform you into someone you do not want to be. And that does occur. But it comes about because you are not aware of it happening. As soon as you become aware of it, you no longer can allow it.

Can you?

I have, in recent times, become aware that I cannot allow it. I am partial to who I used to be. I now choose to go on being that individual. I pray that these dear, noble, and beloved friends of mine stumble upon the equivalent type of point of view in themselves. They are going to need it.

I know well of the massive assault a flurry of life changes can create. I know how unsympathetic they can seem. I know how it feels. I know how it stings. I know how it bewilders. Moreover, I know you can get through it.

I just do not recall how.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always been told that the man upstairs only gives you what he thinks you can handle....even though you think it is too much....

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Tramp said...

I've heard that.

I always respond with this;

"God never gives you more than you can handle.
Unless you die."

Friday, September 14, 2007 2:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep family close to you at all times....blood is thicker than water....do not lose any of them

Friday, September 14, 2007 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Tramp said...

I keep my family at a distance.

But I'm sure that I'm the exception to the rule.

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home