Monday, January 29, 2007

Our Guys In The Skies


From Carrie, a great glimpse into the lives of our wartime airborne. These stories are not written by a writer, but by a man who was there.

This is from my Dad- an interesting link to say the least! Amazing stories.


I'm sure everybody will find this extremely interesting. Imagine being there. It must have been terrifying.


God Bless our vets.



After I read this, I had to include a sample. -Tramp

We flew Satan's Mate and everything went pretty well until we got into heavy flak at Hanover going in. Capt. Booth was flying as Command pilot and at that point he was hit by a piece of flak. I was standing right behind him and when he jumped about a foot off the seat I thought his electic suit had shocked him. The flak took the tips off the fingers of his right hand, the top off his right knee and then lodged in the back of his left leg. We were at 25,000 feet where it was 40 degrees below zero so the wounds didn't bleed much. I called Lt. Moore up from the waist and we did what we could for the Capt. then Moore took the co-pilot seat. I kept working with him. His electric trousers were in such a condition I was afraid they would short out so I disconnected them and turned the heat up on his coat & gloves. I wrapped blankets & coats around his legs to try and keep them warm. I don't think he will be handicapped permanently but he will be laid up for some time. He sure took it like a man and wouldn't let me give him any morphine. I should've anyway.

We went on in and the group did a swell job on the ball bearing factory. I got a glance at it and it was in ruins. I was pretty busy most of the time but it seemed like we would never get home. We had some bombs hung up that we couldn't get out so we landed with them to get the Capt. to a doctor. We had about 10 flak holes. One life raft was ruined. Two of our ships are missing. The 8th air force lost about 35 heavies today. (Toll's guns were froze all the way)"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home