Sunday, March 05, 2006

Island Time

One of my favorite weekend trips in the summer is going to the island. There is an island on the Ohio river called Griffin island. It is located just above Steubenville, Oh. and is about 1500 feet long. There are docks, picnic tables. shelters and fire rings. We stay overnight in what might be described as camping. Except we have no tent. We have a cabin cruiser (I like to rough it). Well this one night many years ago I decided I was tired of hunting for firewood with a lowly flashlight and bought myself one of those Coleman lanterns. Very proud of my purchase (and after consuming a few beers) I decided I would be the one to gather wood. I took my new lantern and being accustom to using a flashlight, I held it out in front of me. In what can only be described as beer logic, I marched on, wondering why I couldn't see anything. Lantern in one hand, trusty beer in the other, I marched right off an eight foot cliff and into the mighty Ohio. Looking at the surface of the water above me now, I decided this is where I should go. I swam up, hanging on to my tools, an exploded lantern and a beer which only seconds ago was half full but was now filled to the top. I didn't realize that I was carrying junk until I had climbed to the top of the cliff that was much easier to decend. As I stood at the top dripping river water, I reviewed my inventory. Did I just discover a new way to refill beer? Probably not. I walked back to camp, sans firewood, and one of my buddies asked why I was wet. Took a dip said I. Fully clothed asked he? Whatever, I responded. As he began to laugh I said "here, I got you a beer".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remind me never to take a beer from you if you are dripping wet and minus a lantern.....

Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger Tramp said...

Well Carrie, this guy learned an important lesson about adding insult to injury.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 8:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home