Thursday, June 22, 2006

Response To Comments About Helmets

I've received a number of comments about how being forced to wear helmets while riding motorcycles is just good sense, as we know there are stupid drivers out there. This makes no sense to me. I've responded in a way that may open some eyes. How about from now on, everyone is required to wear a helmet when they go shopping because I like to run through stores throwing bricks? Yes, it is an extremely stupid thing to do. Almost as dumb as running into a motorcycle with your car. But instead of stopping me from throwing the bricks in stores, you just require shoppers to wear helmets. Because, really, isn't that easier that getting a moron to stop throwing the bricks?

And what is the difference, exactly, between getting me to stop doing something extremely stupid (like throwing bricks in stores) and getting drivers to stop doing something extremely stupid (like hitting motorcycles). Instead of stopping the stupid behavior of a few people, we'll just force the majority of people to take precautions against stupid people.

Can you see what I'm trying to say?

And here is the real kicker. Say you are driving down the road and you hit a pedestrian. You say you didn't see him. You, my friend, are going to prison for involuntary manslaughter. And rightfully so. But put that pedestrian on a motorcycle and you are free to go. No charges and no prison time. There is no excuse for not seeing a pedestrian. It is required of you if you wish to drive. But seeing a motorcycle, an object quite a bit larger than a pedestrian, is not required. Taking a pedestrian's life is punishable by law, but taking that same life when he is on a motorcycle is of no consequence. Can anyone explain that to me?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about you just wear one for me? I'm a firefighter who would much rather deal with your head injury at the mall than having to pick up the pieces on the highway.

Sounds dramatic, but I've had to do it.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:24:00 AM  
Blogger Tramp said...

It is not the injury I am specifically talking about. I am not an idiot.

I am trying to make a point about how stupid the entire helmet arguement is. About how I should be required to take responsibility for someone else's shortcomings.

I know the importance of helmets. I was a professional motorcycle racer for three years. And a stunt rider after that, jumping ovetr busses and such. I just want to point out how people expect others to protect themselves instead of taking responsibility for their own actions. And highlight the stupidity of this type of thought pattern.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tramp and Geno,
Dispite my comments from yesterday, I agree with you on the helmet issue, and I agree that those careless/reckless drivers should be punished severally. But I can't argue against state laws for motorcycle helmets, just as I can't argue against similiar statutes for seatbelts.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SAY LET THOSE WHO
RIDE DECIDE

NEVER SURRENDER

Thursday, June 22, 2006 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Tramp said...

Corrine, it is simply the luck of the draw. You never know how something will turn out or even why.

John W, you CAN argue against laws. Who told you that you can’t? There are petitions, protests and if all else fails, there is the vote.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home