Tuesday, May 30, 2006

May Is Motorcycle Awareness Month

That's right. It's that time of year when all the motorcycles come out. Here is a pretty good explanation of how it feels to be a biker. This was given to me by my wife who loves to ride.

I saw you hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line.
But, you didn't see me, put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.
I saw you pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk.
But, you didn't see me, playing Santa at the local mall.
I saw you change your mind about going into the restaurant.
But, you didn't see me attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.
I saw you roll up your window and shake your head when I drove by.
But, you didn't see me, driving behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.
I saw you frown at me when I smiled at your children.
But, you didn't see me, when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.
I saw you stare at my long hair.
But, you didn't see me, and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.
I saw you roll your eyes at our leather coats and gloves.
But, you didn't see me, and my brothers donate our old coats and gloves to those that had none.
I saw you look in fright at my tattoos.
But, you didn't see me cry as my children where born and have their name written over and in my heart.
I saw you change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.
But, you didn't see me, going home to be with my family.
I saw you, complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.
But, you didn't see me, when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.
I saw you, yelling at your kids in the car.
But, you didn't see me, pat my child's hands, knowing he was safe behind me.
I saw you, reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.
But, you didn't see me, squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.
I saw you, race down the road in the rain.
But, you didn't see me, get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.
I saw you, run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.
But, you didn't see me, trying to turn right.
I saw you, cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.
But, you didn't see me, leave the road.
I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.
But, you didn't see me. I wasn't there.
I saw you, go home to your family.
But, you didn't see me.
Because, I died that day you cut me off.
I was just a biker,.....A person with friends and a family.
But, you didn't see me.
Anonymous



And this comes from
Motorcycle.com quoting statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."
"Motorcycle fatalities rose 12 percent to 3,661"
Three thousand six hundred and sixty one.
Say it out loud.
Why? Because drivers claim they can't see motorcycles. I saw a guy one time wearing a shirt that said, "Why do bikers have to die for America's right to drive badly?" That says it all. I saw a pickup pull out in front of a friend of mine once. He is a great rider, Congo is his nickname. That is the only reason he is still here today. He locked up the bike and steered it around the truck while locked. First to the right, but the truck was too close to the curb. Then to the left, missing the truck by inches. This was a full dress Electra Glide. Congo is not a small person. Think of the biggest guy you know. Congo is bigger. After missing the truck, he stopped the bike in front of the truck sideways. I thought he was going to kill the guy. But Congo is an intelligent person. He explained to the guy, very loudly, the error of his ways. Then he told the guy that he shouldn't be allowed to drive. Then he took the keys from the truck and threw them a very long way off the road. And then he left. Point made.
I take a different approach. I installed a very bright headlight on my bike. It's a HID light. You've probably seen them, they are bluish. And bright. I've discovered a hidden benefit from it. When deer run out in front of me, it seems to scare them. Instead of freezing as they are known to do, they immediately run away. It has saved me a few times. I also wear a bright orange Harley T-shirt when I ride. You can spot it a mile away.
I have always had a certain style of riding. I call it "Pretend To Be Invisible". Does it work? I'm still here. You have to interpret things differently on a bike. Like this sign.




Know what it means? To a biker, it means "motorcycle's Killing Grounds Ahead".

So this is a month when someone somewhere decided it would be a good thing to call it an awareness month. Does it help? Who knows, but it doesn't hurt. The bottom line is you have to do something. Bright lights, bright clothes and an awareness that drivers aren't going to see you. When you see that sign, slow down. See a car coming out of a driveway, slow down. The life you save may be the dumb sonofabitch you would kill for messing up your bike.

Footnote: The site that provided the sign image is offering free American flag decals. You may request up to ten. SASE required. Here

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home