Saturday, March 31, 2007

Does Tired Equal Stupid?


Allow me to embarrass myself with a true story from tonight..

I have been extremely busy at my company. We have many large orders to fill and while this is a good thing for the company, not the same is true for me as no one else can do what I do at the company. So I’ve been working at least sixteen hours a day, six days a week for three weeks now. I went to work Monday morning and did not come home until Wednesday night. I did not come home Thursday night, instead sleeping on the floor of my office for a few hours. And believe you me, it gets exhausting. I am down right dog-tired most of the time.

How tired is that? Let me tell you. I don’t think any of you have ever been this tired. And by this tired, I mean this stupid. And again yes, I am extremely embarrassed by this story.

I left work tonight with my butt dragging way behind me. So tired was I that my brain seemed to have ceased functioning. You may not believe this, but as God is my witness, this story is true.

Today being a Friday during Lent, I am supposed to eat no meat. And I don‘t, no heathen am I. So I decided to go to a local Burger King, as they have fish sandwiches on sale. And the fish is good there.

I hit the drive thru with about five minutes left before they close. I ask for two fish sandwiches, one for me and one for my dog. The girl tells me to pull up to the window. I pull up and there is a pretty girl working there who is in her mid twenties. She sees me and snatches the bag of food back. She says that those sandwiches are old and she wants to make up some fresh ones for me. She asks me to pull up to the door and wait. I do, not really caring because I am so tired. I probably would have been happy eating the bag.

Minutes pass and out she comes with an enormous bag of food. She tells me that she made new sandwiches for me and threw in some other stuff as well. A mountain of fries, some cookies and other things. She hands it to me and smiles.

Now it gets strange. And I honestly missed this entire conversation even though I was in it (I’m tired, remember? I cannot say that enough).

She asks me if I like fish. I say yes, I do, thinking why would I order it if I didn’t like it? She says that she likes guys who like fish. I miss it. She then says that she likes meat. I miss it and say something like, “to each his own“. She then tells me that she is getting off of work right now. I say, “Good, now you can go and do what you want”. Then I say, “Well, enjoy your night, I’ll see you”, and drive away. I wonder why she looks so shocked.

About a half mile up the road, it hits me. I blush, really! I feel like the stupidest person alive. Now don’t get me wrong, I would not have taken her up on the offer even if I had realized what she was talking about. I am married and have never cheated on my wife. That is true. But I can’t believe how stupid I must have come off as to her. And that’s embarrassing. And that’s how tired I really am. A conversation like that with a pretty young girl went right over my head. I didn’t have a clue.

In retrospect, I am so glad that I did not say, “I like meat too!”

2 Comments:

Blogger Tramp said...

"the ‘fish sandwich” is used in the wooing process of young people"???

Now I'm even more confused!

Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Tramp said...

I'll leave the single life to Geno.

It's too complicated for me!

Monday, April 02, 2007 10:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home