Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Sometimes I’m Not So Nice


I hate banks. Remember when they used to pay us to hold our money? Now we pay them to hold our money. How the hell did that happen?

I had an exceptionally bad experience with a bank recently. In my opinion the bank employees were uninformed and very rude. Each teller would give me a different answer for the same question. One teller even gave me two different answers to the same question on the same day, a mere two hours apart. And then they played it as if I didn't know what I was talking about. Sorry honey, I've got a great memory. I still remember the telephone number of a house I moved out of when I was 5! I think I remember what you said a few minutes ago.


I didn’t get upset. In my thinking, there are many banks out there and I have no great love for this one. I’ll close the account and go somewhere else. This is where the fun really starts. Have you ever tried to close a bank account? They do not make it an easy task. But I consider myself to be a formidable opponent, bring it on is what I say.
I go to the bank and approach the teller with all the answers.
I tell her, “I want my money and I want to close my account.”
She asks, “Why do you want to do that?”
I feel that this is the wrong response, as I did not ask her to ask me a question. I had asked her for something completely different. So here we go.
Me: “I could say it again. Or perhaps, if it is going to take some time for you to comprehend my words, I could write them down. Then you could study them for as long as necessary and maybe respond correctly. Shall I do that?”
She walks away and returns with a manager.
He says, “Is there a problem?”
I say, “Yes there is. Your teller cannot seems to comprehend the English language. I am trying to keep the words small, but I‘m not having any success. Do you speak English?”
Him: “Yes, I do.”
Me: “Let’s find out, shall we? I want my money and I want to close my account.”
Him: “Can I ask you why?”
Me: “See, there is the problem again. What I am saying is ‘I want my money and I want to close my account’. What are you hearing? Maybe we can find the problem.”
Him: “She will get it for you.”
Me: “Good. Bye bye.”
He stands there.
Me: “Let me explain for you. I say bye bye. Then you say bye bye. Then you leave. Let’s try it again. Bye bye.”
He leaves, and finally, slowly, what I originally asked for begins to develop. Why does it have to be so hard?


5 Comments:

Blogger foutfolk said...

I think these are the kinds of posts that remind me of the way I think. Here's one for you. When solicitors call me, I make sure to get the name of the company and their name before I ask my question. I remind them that I have their name, so they better not hang up on me. I then ask them for their home number. They usually freak and say that they are not allowed to give out their number, or they are unwilling to give it out. I then tell them that they have called my number without asking me and are interrupting my evening time. I tell them that I will call them at home at a more convenient time for me. (and inconvenient for them :) I have had a couple people get angry, and I say "Don't hang up on me!" I have had some say they are sorry for calling. And I have had some say "You got me there!" knowing that what they are doing is intrusive.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:33:00 PM  
Blogger Tramp said...

I've done the same thing.
Only I end the call with this;

"So you can call me at home, but I can't call you at home. Is that what you are telling me? I don't think this is going to work out. And you are the one who is ruining it!"

Garth, Are you aware that there are 29 comments about you at the other site?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger foutfolk said...

No...I'll check it out :)

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger foutfolk said...

What other site? I checked both my blog and the "We have new Readers" and din't see anything.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Tramp said...

I'll post a link up front and make it easy. I also had a question about your wife. It was a rather lengthly explanation. I'll post it as well. There is a very slim chance that I may know you.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home