Friday, March 17, 2006

Statistically Speaking

Statistics of note

Doctors:
A. The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000.
B. Accidental deaths caused by doctors per year is 120,000.
C. Accidental deaths per doctor is 17.14%.
Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.

Guns:
A. The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
B. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
C. The number of accidental gun deaths per owner is 0.001875%
Statistics courtesy of the FBI.

So statistically, doctors are approxamately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.


Thanks to delftsman.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

not being a math type of person, what is the probabilty of me being killed by a gun toting doctor? One of the reasons I quit flying is that they wouldn't let me have a gun to protect myself....Air Marshalls are a nice group, but They couldn't be with me everywhere- I wanted it more for 'crowd control' than anything!( Seats back, tray tables up, or I shooT!!!)

Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger Tramp said...

Those odds are 1,273,926 to 1 (when I don't know something I just make it up). When we guys go to the doctor (rarely) and we see the "glove", we shoot ourselves.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Shoot the moon? What glove? at least I ALWAYS see what is coming at me....maybe at the ankles, but I am still facing forward....hee hee

Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home